High Latency in Different Network

Hi there,

I am using Husarnet with ROS so that I can visualise/control the robot from another device remotely, more specifically that is connected to different network (eg. over the internet). The setup and connection works fine when both the ROS master and my laptop are connected to the same wifi. However, when my laptop is connected to a different network, the connection status shows “tunelled” instead of “peer to peer”. As a result it has a very high latency and this has negative impacts to my application. I looked into the troubleshooting guide for this issue but none of them works for me.

The reasons for me to the use Husarnet is so that I can have remote control of the robot using different devices, from all around the world. This cannot be done if any of the device is connected to a different network and no p2p connection can be established.

I couldn’t find any resource online or anything to solve this issue. I hope I can get any guidances/advices as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Hello @joewong00,

We are currently trying to provide you with the best support experience possible and help you solve your problem. In order to do so we would like to receive some additional information from you that would help us identify the source of the issue and help us remediate it.

Please confirm if the issue you describe here is the same as the one you have mentioned on GitHub: High latency when 2 devices are not in local network · Issue #97 · husarnet/husarnet · GitHub ?
If so, do you prefer to communicate with us using the community forum?

Secondly, it would help us greatly if you could provide us with the logs of Husarnet clients form both setups you mentioned (logs can be accessed using sudo journalctl -u husarnet). Those logs would be of great help for us in trying to solve the problem you have encountered.
Please, if possible, provide us with logs from both communicating clients for both setups you are using. Additionally a full result of the husarnet status command would be helpful.

Other than that any additional information regarding the environment you are using could be helpful.

Best regards,
Konrad

Hello @konrad ,

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly, yes this is the same issue that I mentioned in Github. I am okay to communicate with you using either one of them.

The logs of Husarnet clients from my own device:

The logs of Husarnet clients from the ROS master device:

The full result of husarnet status from my own device:

The full result of husarnet status from the ROS master device:

The environment I’m using for my device is:

• Linux mydevice 5.15.0-56-generic #62~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 22 21:30:14 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • ROS Noetic

The environment the ROS master device is using:

• Linux tarsv4.0-jetson-tx2-ubuntu18 4.9.253-tegra #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 26 12:19:28 PDT 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • ROS Melodic

Sorry for the spam of my replies, I am only allowed to embed one image in a comment. I hope these are the information you are looking for and hope it helps with solving my issue. The issue only occurs whenever 2 devices are not connected to the same network.

Thank you.

Update:

I am able to establish P2P connection with the ROS master when I switch to another network, but it required me to run “husarnet restart” everytime in my ROS master. Otherwise, it would remain tunnelled connection. So may I know that is this a bug or is it normal that I have to restart my husarnet daemon everytime I switch to a different network?

Thank you.

Thank you for the logs and details. Definitely having to restart Husarnet daemon everytime connection changes is not a normal behaviour. We’ll dig deeper into that but it’ll most definitely take a couple of days.

Have a wonderful day
Paweł

1 Like